Pinterest

Monday, September 10, 2012

Magnetic Wreath for Young Women's


My sister wanted a center piece for her church lessons.  She teaches the 12-18 year old young women in our congregation.  Our Young Women's program has 8 values, each value is represented by a different color.  Faith (White), Divine Nature (Blue), Individual Worth (Red), Knowledge (Green), Choice and Accountability (Orange), Good Works (Yellow), Integrity (Purple), and Virtue (Gold). 

She wanted each value represented in the center piece.  She loves the felt roses I make and she wanted to turn some into magnets.  I loved the idea and decided to put magnets on a wreath so we could use the wreath as our center piece.  Then she could use the Young Women's colors or choose colors to match the season's holiday.  As she is teaching her lesson she can pull the roses off the wreath to use for magnets on the chalk board.  

I hot glued the magnets onto the wreath and the flowers.  You have to be care that all magnets are facing the same way.  If they aren't you run into polarity issues and the magnets will repel instead of attract.  :) 


We decided to add a few extra leaves onto the wreath and then I tied a little twine around one side just to break up the dark brown of the wreath. Here are some Fourth of July colors. 


My sister took the wreath to church a couple of times and used it as a nice table display for her lesson.  Everyone thought it was pretty but didn't realize they were magnets.  The other week she was teaching the lesson for all the age groups.  As she reached over and grabbed one of the roses off the wreath to use it for a magnet she heard an audible gasp go through the room!  They had no idea they were magnets and were so surprised she was "ripping" the flowers off the wreath:)  LOL!  She was trying so hard not to laugh at their reactions!!

It turned out so well that I've since made one for my other sister as home decor and one for myself, just because.   :)

For my other sister.  You can see the magnets on the wreath and flowers.  Getting the polarity right is seriously the hardest thing about this project. 

For myself.


It's so pretty all white.  I will try to post a picture of that later.  Let me know if you have any questions on how we made these!



2 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! Even if the primary purpose of the wreath was to be a magnet holder for a teacher, that's still a stroke of genius. So is that a pearl bead in the center of your felt roses? I'd be interested in learning how you make yours. Or I could google it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! The center is a pearl bead. To make the flowers I use a sizzix die for my big shot machine. I bought it from Stampin' Up! but it's now discontinued. It basically cuts out a spiral. You can cut the spiral yourself. Here are two tutorials that will give you an idea of how to make them.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ7_pUxyKQo

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RYbE4tZO-A

      Delete